About Me

        My name is Hannah DeVecht. I am currently living near downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, but I am from Grand Haven. I plan to receive my certification for secondary english and history. I am teacher assisting in a seventh grade English Language Arts classroom at Riley Street Middle School in Hudsonville. I always thought I wanted to teach at the high school level, but my placement has made me realize that I would also very much enjoy the middle school level, as well. I am passionate about teaching for many reasons, however, the most important reason is that I hope to inspire students the way I was inspired, in a time of my life when I needed it the most. 

        I am very excited for all of the ways in which I will be able to implement technology in my classroom. In the past, I have used technology in many of the unit plans I have created. For example, many of my lessons have included transmedia platforms, videos of spoken poetry, and music, which can all be projected within my own classroom. I hope that through my field placement and my courses at Grand Valley I will be able to add to my arsenal, and create more opportunities for my students to grow and learn through the use of technology. 

        I love to explore, whether it be finding a hidden gem within a city or hiking in the mountains. Above is an image taken in Vancouver, British Columbia last spring with my best friend, Brianna. I am also an avid reader and traveling is a passion of mine. Over the summer, I studied abroad in England for a month. Our group traveled around a lot within the United Kingdom, including the Lake District, Stratford-Upon-Avon, London, Liverpool, and Manchester. In addition, I also went to Berlin on my own for a four-day weekend which was an incredible and empowering experience. 
        Along with school and my other interests, I spend a lot of time working. I have been working two jobs since I was a sophomore in high school. Considering the heavy course load I have been warned about for this semester, I dropped one. However, I will still be working at Big O's Pizza Cafe downtown Grand Rapids throughout the school year 4-5 days a week. 



Comments